Hike 100 Challenge
Hike 100 Challenge returns for 2017!
Over 5,000 people attempted the Hike 100 challenge in 2016 with nearly 1,500 individuals from 26 states completing it.
In 2017, the NCTA will again offer the Hike 100 Challenge with an extra Build It Challenge to celebrate the 4,600 mile National Scenic Trail and the stories of its thousands of volunteers and hikers.
Anyone who hikes 100 miles on the NCNST during calendar year 2017, in aggregate or all at once, will be eligible for a special patch. In addition, the NCTA will be offering prizes and free resources for those who sign up for the challenge, and a special grand prize drawing for those who complete the Build It Challenge. In the Build It Challenge, participants can complete two simple activities to help spread the word about the NCNST and get more people involved.
Quick Start Guide:
2. Download tools for your 2017 Challenge:
3. Get hiking! (scroll down this page for F.A.Q.)
4. Finish your 100 miles and Build it Activities by Dec. 31, 2017 and submit your completion here.
The Build It Challenge
*New This Year!* Complete the Build It Challenge along with your Hike 100 Challenge, and you’ll be entered to win a special grand prize drawing at the end of the year.
Complete one activity from each list:
- Go on a group hike with a chapter, affiliate, or partner. (Find a chapter, affiliate or partner near you.)
- Participate in a chapter, affiliate, or partner workday or event. (Find a chapter, affiliate or partner near you.)
- Pick up trash on a 1 mile segment of trail.
- Support the NCTA; if you already support the NCTA, refer a friend to donate.
- Learn about Trail building by watching our videos online and then share them.
Spread the Word:
- Distribute NCTA brochures or NCT maps to local libraries, schools, or businesses.
- Invite 10 friends to like our Facebook page.
- Follow us on Instagram @northcountrytrail or Twitter @nctrail and invite 5 friends to follow us.
- Take at least 1 friend on the Trail who’s never been before.
- Share your NCT hiking story on social media and tag us.
- Share our intro video on social media, or make your own video from the Trail and share it.
Starting your 2017 Hike 100 Challenge is easy!
1. Sign up for the special e-mail list.
By signing up, you’ll be entered for fun giveaways and cool prizes. Sign up to get these exclusive offers so you don’t miss out.
2. Start planning your hikes.
Take a look at our online map, and start planning your adventures for 2017.
If you don’t want to hike alone or would appreciate hiking with local NCT experts, check out our online calendar of events.
3. Invite your friends.
Share this challenge with your friends and hike together! Download a flyer to share the Challenge with your friends!
You can also share the calendar of events with your friends and family and encourage them to tackle the Hike 100 Challenge too!
4. Starting January 1, 2017, begin tracking your miles.
Every time you go out on the Trail, whether you’re by yourself, with friends, or doing work on the Trail as a volunteer, keep track of those miles. They will add up fast! Click here to download a sample log sheet (Word Doc) to track your miles. Get a PDF version of the Log Sheet here.
You can hike, run, snowshoe, or cross country ski depending on what’s allowed on the section of trail you are using. Always remember to check the signs for allowed uses. We’re sorry, but biking the miles don’t count for this challenge, it’s a foot-only challenge.
5. Share your adventures with others on social media, #Hike100NCT.
6. Once you’ve logged 100 miles, let us know!
Fill out this form to let us know you’ve completed your miles. We’ll get your patch in the mail right away. Limit to one patch per person for 2017. If you hike more than 100 miles, we’ll give you an extra pat on the back, but cannot send you a second patch.
7. Wear your patch with pride.
Seriously. You’ve earned it.
Do the 100 miles have to be unique miles?
No, they don’t! We want to make this accessible to as many as possible and get people out on the Trail. If someone hikes the same 5 miles over and over to equal 100, that will count!
Can I get 2 patches if I hike 200 miles? 3 patches for 300 miles?
You’re an over-achiever! Way to go! However, we are only handing out one patch per person this year. If you’re really loving this challenge, check out our Long Distance hiking program! We have a program for Long Distance Trip recognition that doesn’t necessarily include the whole Trail. Download the info here.
Do I have to sign up for the e-mail list to receive the patch?
Nope. But you might miss out on cool prizes and helpful tips, so we recommend you sign up.
Can my kids get a patch?
Absolutely! There’s no age limit–either upper or lower! Every member in your family who hikes 100 miles on the North Country Trail in 2017 can receive a patch.
Can my dog get a patch?
We love your dog. But the patch is for people only. Sorry.
How can I keep track of my miles?
We are offering a digital toolkit for those who sign up for the special Hike 100 e-mail list. But really, whether you scratch them out on a piece of paper, use a spreadsheet, a GPS unit, or an app on your phone there’s no right or wrong way. If you’re looking for a great hiking app, we suggest checking out Map My Hike.
Does the Hike 100 Challenge cost anything?
Thanks to assistance from the National Park Service and a grant from REI, we are happy to offer this for free, free, free! The North Country Trail is built and maintained by volunteer labor and donations. If you love the Trail and your nifty new patch, you can always make a donation here.
Do miles not hiked on the North Country Trail count?
We love all trails. But for this challenge, we are only counting miles hiked on the North Country Trail. We’ve got 4,600 miles for you to choose from, so there’s definitely an adventure for you to find nearby. Check out our online map here.
Have you signed up yet?
Don’t miss out on this exciting adventure.
We’ll send you monthly encouragement and opportunities to win prizes!