2013 LLC Chapter Events
We host a variety of special events throughout the year. In 2012, we initiated a new theme hike series designed to hike the Chapter’s trail section and learn more about wildflowers, mushrooms, etc. We will repeat that in 2013 while focusing the hikes on the newly built trail sections.
The 2013 event calendar includes:
- January 12: 6th Annual Winter Trails Day event at Maplelag Resort near Callaway, MN. This all-day event features XC skiing and snowshoeing (rentals available), presentations, a silent auction, chapter business meeting, and dinner.
- February 2: Chapter snowshoe hike (out and back on the NCT), Meet at the Old Indian trailhead in Tamarac NWR at 1pm.
- March 2: Chapter snowshoe hike (out and back on the NCT), Meet at the Itasca State Park South Entrance trailhead at 1pm (note: State Park vehicle pass required).
- April 9: Chapter meeting – TBD in Detroit Lakes
- April 27: Guided spring hike (from Greenwater Lake SNA to Camp 6). Meet at the Greenwater SNA trailhead on Co. Hwy 35 at 9am (hike will be about 4.5 mi.)
- May 18: Guided nature hike (from 400th Ave. to Co. Hwy 26), meet at the 400th Ave. trailhead at 9am
- May 31: Stan Tekeila‘s “The lives of Wolves, Coyote, and Fox” presentation at the Frazee High School, 7pm
- June 29: Guided wildflower & lady slipper hike (from Camp 6 to Elbow Lake Rd.), meet at the Elbow Lake Rd. trailhead at 9am
- July 20: Guided Raspberry hike (from Greenwater SNA trailhead to Co. Rd. 26). Meet at the Co. Rd. 26. trailhead at 9am
- August 12-17: Pennsylvania Rocks - NCTA’s Annual Conference in Slippery Rock, PA
- August 24: 7th Annual North Country Hiking Fest at Itasca State Park
- September 21: Guided Fall color hike (from Blackbird Wildlife Drive to Old Indian Trailhead), meet at the intersection of CR-26 and the Blackbird Wildlife Drive at 1pm.
- October 5: Autumn Hike, details TBD.
- October 19: Joint end of season celebration / meeting with Itasca Moraine Chapter, location: TBD
Want to get involved in working on the trail?
The chapter plans to hold regular workdays every Wednesday and some Mondays (April to November). Contact Ray Vlasak to be added to the Chapter’s email list for workdays and events.
You can also visit our Meetup group to learn more about and sign up for our events.
More events to follow.