More than a century old, the refurbished schoolhouse in White Cloud, Michigan, is managed by the Western Michigan Chapter of the NCTA. The schoolhouse is a perfect base for exploring the NCNST in the Huron-Manistee National Forest. It served as the first headquarters for the NCTA in the early 1980’s. The Schoolhouse also marks the halfway point on the North Country Trail between Crown Point, NY and Lake Sakakawea, ND.
Located on a spur trail just 1.7 miles from the NCNST, on the corner of 5 Mile Rd. and Felch Ave. north of White Cloud, the Birch Grove Schoolhouse makes an excellent base for groups to discover this recreational treasure. It serves as a home away from home for those of us who aren’t lucky enough to have the NCNST in our backyard. It also makes a perfect stopover for weary short or long distance hikers.
Even if you’re just looking for a site for your next retreat, we encourage you to help yourself to the trail literature you’ll find there. We also offer assistance and advice in planning hikes are part of your groups activities.
The Schoolhouse is available for rent for your next meeting, overnight, reunion or retreat! Contact us for reservations and to learn more.
- Address: 3950 N Felch Ave, White Cloud, MI 49349
- Map: View the schoolhouse on our online map here.
- Hiking from the Premises:
- View and download a map of the Birch Grove Trail here.
To reserve the Schoolhouse or for more information, contact Sibyl Smith
- Cell: 616-836-0995
- Home: 231-689-0418
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- View and download the Birch Grove Schoolhouse brochure here.
(Open mid-May through mid-November)
- Kitchen Area: double sink, refrigerator, microwave, stove with oven, 30, 12, and 4-cup coffee pots, dishes, cookware, utensils.
- Meetings: 6 tables, 25+ chairs
- Overnights: 3 rollaways, 12 mattresses
- Rest Rooms: 1 indoor bathroom with sink and shower, 1 outhouse.
- Outdoors: Large grill, 2 long picnic tables, fire pit with benches and a spacious backyard for tent camping
Daytime Use (8 a.m. – 8 p.m.)
$40 base rate for up to 4 hours of use.
If the rental is longer than 4 hours, the fee is $40 plus $5 for each hour after the 4th hour.
- ie: For 6 hours, the fee would be $40 plus $5 for the 5th hour and $5 for the 6th hour for a total of $50.
$10 per night per NCTA member, and $15 per night per non-member (minimum charge $30).
- ie: If 2 NCTA members and 3 non-members stay 2 nights, the fee would be: $40 for NCTA members ($10x2x2), $90 for non-members ($15x3x2), for a total of $130.
Special rates given to Scouts and other youth groups.
- Advance registration required.
- On-site adult supervision is required for groups with members less than 21-years old.
- Those staying overnight must provide their own bedding or sleeping bags, toiletries and towels.
- Groups must clean up after themselves or forfeit their damage deposit. this includes washing dishes, sweeping floors, wiping tables, sinks, counters and shower, and removing food and trash.
- The NCTA is not responsible for theft or loss of personal property on the schoolhouse premises.
- Alcohol is prohibited on the premises, except by special arrangement.
- No smoking is allowed inside the schoolhouse or on the front porch.
- no pets other than guide dogs are allowed.