Here are several important notes on Minnesota Hiking Celebration lodging:
1) Hiking Celebration attendees will be be responsible for making their all of their own lodging arrangements themselves. The hosts goal is to provide you with information on the full range of options.
2) We encourage you to do this ASAP as Duluth is a very busy place in the summer and lodging fills up quickly. The Duluth Air Show (featuring the Navy’s Blue Angels) is the same weekend and some places are already filling up!
3) It is important for attendees to keep in mind the special geography of Spirit Mountain. The Skyline Chalet atop the ski hill is a 10-15 minute drive from the Grand Avenue base of the ski hill. It is also possible to hike from one to the other via the Superior Hiking Trail and to take the ski lift (hours are limited & fee charged).
As Minnesota’s fourth largest City, there is a great variety of lodging options in Duluth. Here are some that we recommend.
On-site / very nearby lodging:
- Spirit Mountain Campground (Near the Skyline Chalet. Individual campsites are available.)
- On-site lodging at the Mountain Villas
Eight villas are now available on a first come, first serve basis at Mountain Villas in a 4 night package, for August 20-24, 2014. Below is more information on the Villas and how to make a reservation.
The villas are 2 bedroom and 2 bath with various bed configurations. (See below for bed configurations in the 8 villas available. ) They sleep 4 comfortably and up to 6 (or 8) on sofa pullouts. The villas are only available in the 4-night package. The special package price is $641.97 (including tax) for the 4 nights.
If interested, please organize a group of 4 (or more) and consult their website for pictures and descriptions.
Note: Some villas allow dogs which must pre-approved. The charge is $15/day/dog with a limit of two dogs in a villa. If there is any damage or if extra cleaning needed, there will be an additional charge. There will be a $200/dog charge for any dogs that have not been approved.
To obtain a villa, email Carol Zazubek, 2014 Minnesota Event Planning Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred bed arrangement. One person will need to, at some point, provide a single credit card to reserve the entire villa for the 4 days. 100% of the entire stay must be paid at the time of reservations with one credit card. There is a 21 day cancellation policy with a $20 service charge. Do not call Mountain Villas directly.
- Indian Point Campground – Close (1.7 miles) to the GA ChaletFour group campsites have been reserved for MN Hiking Celebration attendees. Each of the 4 group camping sites can accommodate 4 two-person tents. The cost is $30 per night but may be scaled lower based on attendance – i.e. if all 16 sites are taken, the cost will be $19 per tent each night. To reserve these sites contact Jerry Trout at email@example.com or at 218-831-3965. A $30 deposit is required.
- Hotels / motels
- Best Western - 5.6 miles from GA; ½ mile from Skyline
- Allyndale Motel – 3.4 miles from GA; 3 miles from Skyline
- Willard Munger Inn – 1.4 miles from GA; 5 miles from Skyline
- Americinn – 5.6 miles from GA; 2.1 miles from Skyline
- Spirit Mountain Inn - 5.8 miles from GA; 1 mile from Skyline
- Other Hotels & motels in Duluth
Note: GA = Grand Ave Chalet (base of Spirit Mountain); Skyline= Skyline Chalet (top of Spirit Mountain)
- Campgrounds - there are lots of camping options in the region with several located closeby:
- Hostel type accommodations – Up to eight, elegantly furnished guest rooms are available during the Hiking Celebration in the Lester Park House in eastern Duluth. Contact Trudy, the owner (firstname.lastname@example.org,218-213-6200) directly for more information.
You can also check out the Visit Duluth’s lodging website for the full range of options. We would encourage you to check consumer reviews at tripadvisor.com or a similar site before making your reservations!