Title: Director of Development and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Lowell, MI
Summary: The North Country Trail Association’s (NCTA) Director of Development and Communications
is an integral member of the NCTA management team, leading the coordination of the Association’s
revenue generating efforts as well as its communications strategy. The NCTA’s Director of Development
and Communications plans and provides leadership for a broad spectrum of fund development activity
that includes donor and membership program management, major giving, planned giving, capital
campaigns, corporate sponsorship, grant writing and special event fundraising. This position will also
lead the development of NCTA’s communications strategy in order to fully engage our many audiences
along their journeys.
As a member of NCTA’s management team, the Director of Development and Communications will work
closely with the Executive Director and other staff to achieve the goals of the Association. This position
is based in Lowell, MI but requires monthly travel.
The mission of North Country Trail Association is to develop, maintain, protect and promote the North
Country National Scenic Trail as the premier hiking path across the northern tier of the United States
through a trail-wide coalition of volunteers and partners.
Qualifications and Experience:
● Minimum 7 years of experience in fund development or related work.
● Specific evidence of successful experience in leading a comprehensive development program in
a not-for-profit environment.
● Experience developing compelling messages.
● Minimum of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
● Self-directed and driven personality.
● Understanding of and experience with the legal, regulatory and procedural landscapes
associated with managing a multi-faceted fund-raising effort in a national volunteer 501(c)3
● Solid understanding of development techniques and donor database management.
● Outstanding organizational and supervisory skills.
● Demonstrated effectiveness in working with many diverse individuals and communities.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability and willingness to travel and work on weekends as needed.
● Commitment to working in a team-focused staff and organizational culture.
Responsibilities: NCTA’s Director of Development and Communications is a member of a team of
professionals linked in their shared commitment to the vision of the North Country National Scenic Trail.
Specific areas include:
Fund Development (65%)
● Strategize and manage all fundraising activities, including, but not limited to, annual giving,
major gifts, planned giving, stewardship events, corporate and foundation fundraising and
● Manage all strategies and activities for donor cultivation and retention, including prospect
research, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts.
● Develop grant or funding proposals for foundations, corporations, and local, state and federal
government funding partners.
● Cultivate, solicit and steward donations from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
● Develop and maintain strong relationships with major donors.
● Oversee management of the membership renewal process and fundraising appeals through
direct mail and electronic communications.
● Work closely with the Board of Directors, Board Fund Development Committee and the
Executive Director enabling the highest degree of successful fundraising from their contacts and
● Provide regular development reports to the Executive Director, Board of Directors and funding
or regulatory agencies as required.
● Oversee the management of donor databases and all records and files pertaining to donations.
● Maintain and communicate a high degree of confidentiality regarding donor and gift
● Advise and support volunteers in coordinating local fundraising initiatives.
● Shape an effective communications strategy that coordinates the Association’s marketing and
development efforts to focus on key messaging, storytelling and brand experience.
● Oversee the publication of donor and membership materials, including printed and online
materials including the Annual Report and donor portals on NCTA’s website.
Administration and Additional Duties (10%)
● Supervise and evaluate direct reports in both development and marketing and communications.
● Assist the ED with other projects and duties as assigned.
● Provide staff support to related Board of Directors committees.
● Attend staff and board meetings as needed.
Salary and Benefits:
NCTA offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes individual and family health
insurance options and 403(b) programs.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to:
Andrea Ketchmark, Executive Director
North Country Trail Association