Position Description: Freelance Designer, the North Star Magazine
Position Summary: The North Country Trail Association (NCTA) seeks a freelance designer for our North Star magazine. NCTA is a non-profit organization whose mission is the development, maintenance, preservation and promotion of the North Country National Scenic Trail. The North Star magazine is the quarterly flagship publication of the NCTA. It communicates and serves to unite the important strategic efforts of staff, volunteers and partners dispersed over the 4,600 miles of the North Country Trail. The North Star Magazine is a team effort. An Editorial Advisory Committee works with the Volunteer Editor and NCTA staff to plan the issues. The Editor coordinates the content and the Designer works with the Editor and Staff to ensure the final product is one that fits our vision for the Association.
- Prepare four issues per year, averaging 32 pages per issue.
- Work within an existing design and layout template with opportunity to make design improvements.
- Receive text and photo files and organize in the magazine layout document.
- Assess photos for suitability (size, resolution, clarity.) adjust photos, convert them to CMYK at a resolution suitable for the printer’s needs.
- Create additional graphics as needed.
- Prepare the document for print per our printer’s requirements.
- Prepare the document for electronic distribution to NCTA’s membership,
- 3-5 years experience working in print media with some experience adapting print for online viewing.
- Proficient in Adobe CS, including Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Flexible in availability during production times.
Compensation: Payment is based on a per page basis.
About NCTA: The North Country Trail Association is a non-profit organization of local chapters and
members united in supporting the development, maintenance, preservation and promotion of the
nationally designated North Country Scenic Trail. NCTA serves its membership and mission through
funding projects, promoting trail use, legislative advocacy and providing expertise and information to
trail users and advocates. NCTA’s office is the administrative hub for the Association’s efforts, as well as
doubling as a storefront retail outlet; the public is welcome during Trail Shop hours. Every NCTA staff
member is an ambassador for the Trail, the Association, and for healthy outdoor recreation and
conservation and management of our natural resources for the benefit of all.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Andrea Ketchmark, Executive Director, North Country Trail Association
email@example.com (electronic submission preferred)
Interested parties should apply by October 26, 2018