Join the North Country Trail Association’s Next Generation Coalition, a group of young leaders dedicated to sustaining and promoting the North Country National Scenic Trail.
Would you like to empower all to enjoy, share, and preserve the hiking experience?
The Next Generation Coalition program is dedicated to welcoming, training, and supporting the next generation of trail volunteers with a two-year, cohort style program of advocacy and stewardship to protect the North Country Trail.
As the popularity of the Trail grows, it is vital that future generations of trail stewards are given the opportunity to experience, work on, and fall in love with the beauty of the North Country Trail. Through the NCTA, coalition members are the voice of young hikers who will speak out to elected officials and the public on the need to develop, maintain, protect, and promote the North Country National Scenic Trail, and build more inclusive outdoor recreation opportunities. Over the course of two years, coalition members will receive advocacy and communications training to be effective advocates and leaders, meet with elected officials at Hike the Hill, contribute sweat equity to the trails through North Country National Scenic Trails Day, and work together to inspire and mentor the next generation of outdoor leaders and volunteers.
Benefits and Expectations
- One-year membership to the NCTA
- Prerequisite to either live in a Trail state (ND, MN, WI, MI, OH, PA, NY, or VT) or willingness to travel to the Trail for volunteer opportunities
- Advocacy and communications training and support
- Invitations to exclusive events, hikes, and other activities, including the annual Next Generation Coalition Summit
- Scholarship to attend events, including complimentary registration for Virtual Hike the Hill and a partial stipend for travel
- Networking opportunities with leaders and other professionals in the outdoors community
- Between the ages of 18 and 35
- Passionate about the North Country Trail and the outdoors
- Excellent communicator
- Available to engage regularly throughout the year on social media and through NCTA communications
What does it mean to be a Coalition member?
Header photo by Emily Rodriguez