Secure long-term protection of the Trail across private land and effectively partner with our public land management agencies.
The North Country Trail crosses 160 different land management units on its way from North Dakota to Vermont, so the NCTA must work with many different Partners to make the Trail a reality. The NCTA and National Park Service staff focus on the national and state level, while volunteers build crucial relationships at a local level. Relationships with private landowners are key to the development and long-term protection of the Trail. Reference the NCTA Trail Protection Handbook to learn how to approach landowners, what types of agreements we prefer, and how to maintain relationships over time.
- Trail Protection Introduction Presentation
- Trail Protection Grant Guidelines and Application
- What Are Recreational Use Statutes?
- Find Your State’s Recreational Use Statutes
- Chapter Leadership Handbook
Federal Land Management Partners
Header photo by Dove Day