The NCTA is starting over in this 115th Congress in our efforts to obtain passage of our Route Adjustment legislation that we came close to seeing pass during the last few weeks of the 114th Congress in December, and we need your help!
Word from Bruce Matthews is that Rep. Richard Nolan introduced the House version of the “North Country National Scenic Trail Route Adjustment” bill (H.R. 1026) and Sen. Amy Klobuchar and Sen. John Hoeven co-introduced the Senate version (S. 363) yesterday (2/13). This introduction was timed with the ongoing Hike the Hill advocacy event. Click on the graphic below to read the simple legislation and to learn more about what it does (note: both the House and Senate versions have identical language).
What you can do:
We really need constituents of these Representatives who supported the legislation in the last Congress to contact their offices to ask them to once again co-sponsor Rep. Nolan’s bill:
Here are some additional Representatives who host the Trail, who really ought to be co-sponsors:
Act now! Let’s turn the map green!
Here is how you can best accomplish this:
- Call their DC office
- Provide them with your name & zip code
- State that you “Don’t need a response”
- Tell them that you would like to see the Representative co-sponsor H.R. 1026
It might look something like this…
“Hi, my name is Mark, I’m a constituent from ___, zip code *****. I don’t need a response. I am in favor of the North Country National Scenic Trail Route Adjustment Act (H.R. 1026) and I encourage the Representative to please co-sponsor this legislation. Thanks for your hard work answering the phones!”
Afterward, tell your friends / family that live in your same District to do the same thing and tell them how easy it was. The DC staff probably only need to hear from a dozen constituents before moving on the legislation.
If your Representative is already a co-sponsor please call and thank them for their support! The list of current co-sponsors includes:
- North Dakota: Cramer, ND-At Large
- Minnesota: Paulsen, MN-6; Ellison-MN-5; Peterson, MN-8; McCollum, MN-4; Walz, MN-1
- Wisconsin: Sensenbrenner, WI-5; Grothman, WI-6; Moore, WI-4; Kind, WI-3
- Michigan: Kildee, MI-5; Bergman, MI-1; Moolenar, MI-4; Dingell, MI-12; Bill Huizenga, MI-2
- Ohio: Ryan, OH-13
- Pennsylvania: Kelly, PA-3;
- New York: Katko, NY-24; Tonko, NY-20; Faso, NY-19; Meeks, NY-5; Tenney, NY-22; Stefanik, NY-21; Slaughter, NY-25; Collins, NY-27
- Vermont: Welch, VT-at large
If your Representative isn’t listed anywhere above, please contact them and ask that they co-sponsor this H.R. 1026.
Header photo credit: Craig Toocheck, freeimages.com