NCTA members and trail friends in Minnesota are invited to attend the 3rd Annual North Country Hiking Fest at Itasca State Park on Saturday August 29th. This family-friendly event is sponsored by the Minnesota DNR – Itasca State Park and NCTA-Itasca Moraine and Laurentian Lakes Chapters and will feature:
- A 6-mile guided hike on the North Country Trail from the Gartner Farm trailhead west to the Anchor Matson trailhead. Hike past virgin pine and hardwood groves, undeveloped lakes, and an old logging railroad grade.
- Free workshops (MN wildlife, hiking with kids, nordic walking ***on Sunday morning***, and geo-caching, etc.)
- Kid and family activities (including a wildlife track activity, Geo-caching 101 activity, and short hikes)
- An opportunity to win some neat door prizes and play a rousing game of North Country Jeopardy!
- A traditional cookout dinner (BBQ pork sandwich, fruit, chips, & water) available for $5
- A Free concert by Charlie Maguire on the shores of Lake Itasca (weather permitting)
For more information, contact Matthew Davis at (701) 388-1883 or Itasca State Park at (218) 699-7251. You can download the hiking-fest-schedule (PDF, 24k) to see when things are happening or download the hiking-fest-program (PDF, 612k) for everything you need to know about Hiking Fest.